This is a great addition to your weekly special. By adding jowar or great millet, this soup can be a wholesome meal. Though this is called a bottle gourd soup, it has carrots and tomatoes to give it the color and flavor. Addition of millet is just a way of including this natural gluten free treat in our everyday meal.
Bottle gourd – 350gms
Carrot – 1 medium size
Tomato – 150gms (country tomatoes preferred)
Garlic – 2 pearls
Great millet – 200gms
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Soak the millet in enough water for 1 – 2 hours.
2. Cook the millet in a cooker with 1:5 ratio of millet to water for about 7 whistles. The millet should be cooked to a consistency where it still retains its shape(it should not be too mashes). Drain excess water and keep aside.
3. Roughly chop the tomato, carrot and bottlegourd.
4. In a cooker, add 1 tsp oil an add the garlic pearls. After the garlic fragrance starts to rise, add the tomato, carrot and bottle gourd. Saute the vegetables, after 1 min, add enough water to immerse all the vegetables and cook for about 3 whistles on low flame.
5. After 3 whistles, switch off the flame and wait for the pressure to dissipate. Open the cooker and let the vegetables cool.
6. Once cooled, blend the vegetables and add salt to taste.
7. At this point the consistency of the soup might be very thick, so add required amount of water and reheat it.
8. Before serving, add a dash of freshly cracked black pepper and a generous serving of the cooked millet. Garnish with fresh basil or coriander leaves.